So as you guys know, I recently returned the Summer baby monitor being unhappy with the short distance of the signal even though the product description boasts 600 ft. I could barely go into the garage without it crapping out. Side note, gotta love Amazon and their return policy!
I have received the latest test baby monitor: Levana Ovia baby monitor which I found on Amazon (of course!) for $180 (elsewhere the price is well into $200’s). Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Levana-Digital-Monitor-Intercom-Recording/dp/B00DJPLS2W/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t
Why I chose it:
- 4.3” LCD Screen & Touch Panel Controls – Ovia’s large 4.3” LCD screen ensures you’ll be able to see even baby’s tiniest expressions and movements in fine detail. And speaking of fine details: you’ll be impressed by how the intuitive touch panel controls and vibrant icon menu will let you customize your monitoring setup in seconds.
- Whisper-quiet Pan/Tilt/Zoom Camera – Keep a watchful eye on every nook and cranny of the nursery with Ovia’s remote-controlled pan/tilt/zoom camera. Look all around the room with 270° horizontal adjustability and tilt the lens 110° vertically while observing in even more detail with 2x zoom magnification.
- Record Video & Snap Photos – Turn playtime with Daddy into an everlasting memory with built-in photo and video recording. The included micro SD card will keep all your photos and videos neatly organized until you transfer the files to your computer for permanent storage with the SD adapter. You can also relive magical moments instantly by playing videos and viewing photos on your parent unit.\
- Easy-to-Use Touch Panel Controls – This monitor’s sleek profile features touch panel controls that instantly respond to even the most feather-light commands. The Ovia monitor is also equipped with a button lock feature, so when you are not intending to activate controls, simply set it to lock.
- 24-hour Battery Life in PEEP Mode – A fully-charged Ovia monitor means you’ll be able to stay active and do more for 24 hours without having to stop and recharge your batteries. Simply turn on power-saving PEEP mode, and Ovia’s screen will light up when baby makes a noise. You’ll see and hear the exact moment they’ve awakened from their nap while saving hours of precious battery life.
- Secure 750ft ClearVu Digital Signal – Never worry about anyone intercepting your baby monitor signal with secure ClearVu technology, developed exclusively by Levana. Do more indoors or outdoors with the confidence that wireless interference and signal loss are things of the past.
- Talk to Baby Two-way Communication – Sing your baby to sleep from any room in the house with our Talk to Baby two-way intercom. Perfect for when baby needs reassurance Mom and Dad aren’t far away, this feature also allows you to communicate with your partner in the nursery and not disturb the little one.
- Invisible LEDs Keep the Nursery Dark – Check on your baby from up to 15ft away in complete darkness with automatic night vision. The invisible infrared LEDs will activate as soon as low light levels are detected while your baby sleeps peacefully without the distraction of the harsh red glow found on traditional baby video monitors.
- Vibrant Icon Menu – Effortlessly navigate through all your favorite features via the intuitive icon menu. Fully customize your monitoring setup to suit your family’s needs.
- Smart LED Indicator Ring – The Smart LED Indicator Ring changes color with the sound of your baby’s voice so you can tell how loud baby is crying even if your monitor is on mute. Adjust the sensitivity to suit your needs.
- 3 Remote-controlled Lullabies – Lull baby to sleep with three pre-programmed lullabies. Controlled remotely from the parent unit, you can easily replay a song for your little one if they are crying out for more.
- Expandable up to 4 Cameras – Add up to four cameras in the nursery and additional rooms in your home for convenient monitoring on one monitor. Switch to the quad-viewing option to view up to four cameras on one screen or choose between individual camera feeds depending on the areas you want to monitor most carefully.
I’ve used it for about 5 days now and here is what I think:
- The display is okay but not great. I wouldn’t count on it to take photos or videos as the functionality allows.
- Love the colored ring display that lets you hear without actually hearing.
- The tilt/pan/zoom is a great feature to help me see every corner of the room, not just where I left it.
- Still a bit of a problem with the signal not reaching all that far, but I think that’s unavoidable with these types of products unless you get a wifi capable camera.
Have any tips? Please share your thoughts with me below. Looking forward to hearing from you pals!